Saturday, April 7, 2012

Travelling lightly

When I left for France in September for this seven month program, I wanted to pack very lightly so that luggage-induced stress would be at a minimum. I think it's safe to say I succeeded in that area; I arrived here in France with one large suitcase, a backpack, and my purse. I'm really glad I didn't bring much with me because it's greatly reduced the stress of having to move all these possessions from country to country. The only downside, for me, has been that after these nearly 6.5 months, I've gotten very, very tired of these clothes. I've been wearing the same clothes for nearly seven months now and wow do I want to wear something else. Still, it's a very small downside to the large benefit of travelling lightly, especially when travelling in France means train stations, buses, and metros with no convenient way of lugging 50 pound suitcases around. 

There isn't too much more to say in this post except that I cannot recommend packing lightly enough for travelling in Europe. After my experience studying abroad in Grenoble (pulling a huge suitcase up to the second story of a train, up and down stairs in the Paris metro, etc.), I was dreading a similar experience. To that end, I didn't bring much and I'm so happy with that decision. I'll be happy to get back home and have more of my things to use and wear, but after nearly seven months with minimal possessions, I've also gotten very used to living minimally. I can see going down an Alex Day-esque path in that sense.

Cups of tea: 12

No comments:

Post a Comment